Ali here ~
Title: The Guy on the Right
Series: The Underdogs #1
Author: Kate Stewart
Release Date: July 25, 2019
Genres: NA Contemporary Romance
Not cool, Mom.
I‘ve spent most of my life answering to Teddy, because I couldn’t make Theo work.
Except for here. College. The place where all bets are off, and I’ve managed to redeem myself.
There’s only one problem, my new roommate, Troy, is football royalty and looks like he stepped off the set of an Abercrombie shoot.
Doesn’t matter, I cook a mean breakfast for his panty parade, and we get along well.
And anyway, this year I got the girl. And she’s perfect.
That’s right. Theodore Houseman, former band geek, now marching band rock star has finally landed the girl of his dreams.
Everything is perfect.
That is, until Troy takes a good look at her.
I’m not going down without a fight. As a matter of fact, I’m not going down at all. As glorious as these days may be for my all-star roommate, Laney is my end game.
I may not know much about play strategy, but I’ve been the good guy my whole life. I’ve been listening and I know exactly what women want. Framed in a picture standing next to me, Troy may seem like Mr. Perfect, but he’s underestimating the guy on the right.
Spoiler alert: In this story, the underdog is going to win.
*****What I Loved About This Book*****
- Great pacing.
- Quicky addictive!
- I laughed out loud.
- Laney’s growth~ Laney’s character goes through some serious growth in this book, and I love that it happens so naturally and believably.
- Theo is such a sweetheart. He’s a good guy through and through.
- Great instant chemistry ~ I love the way Laney and Theo meet and watching their relationship build.
- Friends to lovers ~ this is my favorite trope and this story portrays it in the best way! It happens so naturally and feels so real and true. It’s a slow burn that just builds and builds.
- I like that she’s a year older than him and that they don’t make a big deal about it.
- There’s a moment that Theo goes caveman in the most wonderful way when he’s ready to move things beyond friends. I love that Laney brings out his assertiveness.
- Theo and Laney are just so cute and perfect together that I was dreading any bad things coming their way. They just pulled on my heartstrings in a big way!
- Some seriously hot moments.
- There’s one moment in the book that had me just completely melting. I’m talking serious swoonville! It was just everything.
- I love the little Grannisms thrown in from Laney’s chapters. Quotes from Laney’s Gran.
- There are some intense moments – ones that have nothing to do with Laney and Theo’s relationship.
- My absolute favorite thing about this book is that the nice guy wins and in the absolute biggest way! He seriously makes nice guys very attractive!
- Great quotes ~
I might’ve fallen slowly, but I just landed impossibly deep.
What didn’t I like? There was only one thing that bugged me in this book, and it takes place during the climax. Theo’s pride just seemed a little too big for a little too long, and it felt just a little out of character. But, he makes up for it in the most epic way, and there’s no way a girl couldn’t forgive him.
Overall, I just have to say that this story just felt like true love happening so naturally and realistically. It has left me just feeling all mushy inside! 5 Stars!
Have you read The Guy on the Right or any of Kate Stewart’s other books? What did you think??? Have a recommendation for me?