Ali here ~
Title: A Curse So Dark and Lonely
Series: Cursebreakers #1
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Release Date: Jan 29, 2019
Genres: YA Fantasy/Romance/Retelling
Fall in love, break the curse.
Cursed by a powerful enchantress to repeat the autumn of his eighteenth year, Prince Rhen, the heir of Emberfall, thought he could be saved easily if a girl fell for him. But that was before he turned into a vicious beast hell-bent on destruction. Before he destroyed his castle, his family, and every last shred of hope.
Nothing has ever been easy for Harper. With her father long gone, her mother dying, and her brother constantly underestimating her because of her cerebral palsy, Harper learned to be tough enough to survive. When she tries to save a stranger on the streets of Washington, DC, she’s pulled into a magical world.
Break the curse, save the kingdom.
Harper doesn’t know where she is or what to believe. A prince? A curse? A monster? As she spends time with Rhen in this enchanted land, she begins to understand what’s at stake. And as Rhen realizes Harper is not just another girl to charm, his hope comes flooding back. But powerful forces are standing against Emberfall . . . and it will take more than a broken curse to save Harper, Rhen, and his people from utter ruin.
*****What I Enjoyed*****
- I love Beauty and the Beast and I love retellings, so this was a no-brainer!
- I really enjoyed the unique spins taken and that Harper has cerebral palsy. I especially love that she doesn’t let it hold her back!
- I enjoy all the side characters! Freya is impressive when defending Harper, and Zo was a great addition.
- The slow burn with circumstances that push them together and pull them apart.
- Terrifying and gripping moments. This story is full of adventure.
- Twists and turns in the plot.
- This left me dying for the next book! I need it yesterday!!
*****What I Didn’t Enjoy*****
- I could often feel her growing attraction for Rhen, but not love. This made me sad. But, this is possibly because of the growing potential triangle happening with Grey.
This book was rapidly addictive! I was quickly sucked in, and I want more NOW! Definitely one of my favorite reads of 2020. I am soooo glad I don’t have to wait long for the next book!
Have you read the A Curse So Dark and Lonely? What did you think? Have a recommendation for me?