Ali here ~
Title: Josh & Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating
Author: Christina Lauren
Release Date: Sept 4, 2018
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Hazel Camille Bradford knows she’s a lot to take—and frankly, most men aren’t up to the challenge. If her army of pets and thrill for the absurd don’t send them running, her lack of filter means she’ll say exactly the wrong thing in a delicate moment. Their loss. She’s a good soul in search of honest fun.
Josh Im has known Hazel since college, where her zany playfulness proved completely incompatible with his mellow restraint. From the first night they met—when she gracelessly threw up on his shoes—to when she sent him an unintelligible email while in a post-surgical haze, Josh has always thought of Hazel more as a spectacle than a peer. But now, ten years later, after a cheating girlfriend has turned his life upside down, going out with Hazel is a breath of fresh air.
Not that Josh and Hazel date. At least, not each other. Because setting each other up on progressively terrible double blind dates means there’s nothing between them…right?
*****What I Enjoyed*****
- I love their comical introduction to each other.
- I was sucked in immediately to their story and it never let me go.
- Best friends to lovers!!! This is my absolute favorite trope and it was handled the way I absolutely LOVE to see it handled. It was the perfect slow build into the deepest affections.
- Very comical! I absolutely LOVE Hazel’s quirkiness and Josh’s fondness of her character. My favorite is how her mouth gets ahead of her brain.
- I love the glimpse into a Korean family.
- I loved being able to experience both Josh & Hazel’s POV.
- I love that Hazel isn’t willing to sacrifice who she is for a relationship. She vulnerable and strong at the same time.
- I love that if someone is irked by Hazel’s personality that Josh is just drawn closer to her. He’s protective of her. And well, he’ll totally make you swoon!
- HOT! I have gotten to where more and more sex scenes in books just make me cringe because they just feel added in for the sake of adding sex. But there are some books where it’s just right. Necessary. And totally HOT. This was one of those!
*****What I Didn’t Enjoy*****
- There were a couple places that religion/politics comments were thrown in that felt unnecessary to the story. They always distract me when they don’t feel necessary to the story whether I agree with them or not. It wasn’t by any means a big deal. I still totally LOVED this book!
I’m so glad I committed to reading more Christina Lauren this year! I am definitely looking forward to Twice in a Blue Moon, which is already sitting on my shelf. 5 Amazeballs Stars!
Challenges: Popsugar, Beat the Backlist, Wizarding World Tour, 20 in 20, A to Z Reading Challenge, Goodreads (WOW!!! That was awesome that this book filled so many prompts/challenges!)
Have you read Josh & Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating or any of Christina Lauren’s other books? What did you think? Have a recommendation for me?