Ali here ~
Title: A Heart So Fierce And Broken
Series: Cursebreakers #2
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Release Date: Jan. 7, 2020
Genres: YA Fantasy/Romance/Retellings
Find the heir, win the crown.
The curse is finally broken, but Prince Rhen of Emberfall faces darker troubles still. Rumors circulate that he is not the true heir and that forbidden magic has been unleashed in Emberfall. Although Rhen has Harper by his side, his guardsman Grey is missing, leaving more questions than answers.
Win the crown, save the kingdom.
Rumored to be the heir, Grey has been on the run since he destroyed Lilith. He has no desire to challenge Rhen–until Karis Luran once again threatens to take Emberfall by force. Her own daughter Lia Mara sees the flaws in her mother’s violent plan, but can she convince Grey to stand against Rhen, even for the good of Emberfall?
The heart-pounding, compulsively readable saga continues as loyalties are tested and new love blooms in a kingdom on the brink of war.
In the sequel to New York Times bestselling A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Brigid Kemmerer returns to the world of Emberfall in a lush fantasy where friends become foes and love blooms in the darkest of places.
*****What I Enjoyed*****
- Sucked me right back into the Cursebreaker world immediately.
- Tycho – my favorite of the new characters. His loyalty and fondness of Grey just really endeared me to him.
- The scraver, Iisak! An interesting magical creature! And I really like how his role in the story develops.
- The twist at the end! It has me questioning all my thoughts on this book and definitely left me wanting more!!
- I enjoyed not having a clue throughout most of the book on how things would resolve in the end.
- Lia Mara. I enjoyed her sweet character and her mild mannered way of fighting injustices. And yet, she was fierce when she needed to be.
*****What I Didn’t Enjoy*****
- Rhen. His character has changed. He makes decisions that don’t fit with the Rhen I very much enjoyed in the first book. It was a great disappointment for me. He seemed to make such wise choices in the first book, and now definitely not.
- I believe I mentioned this same problem from the first book, but I just don’t feel the love in any of the relationships. Any of them. And some of the people just aren’t in the relationships I want them in.
- It was killing me not knowing what was taking place between Rhen and Harper throughout the book.
I definitely don’t have the LOVE relationship with this book that I had with the first book. As a matter of fact, there were several parts that I absolutely HATED. It was never the writing, though. I was intensely glued to the pages from start to finish. Rather, it was that I didn’t like the direction the story took in many ways. But, I’m very hopeful for the next book and how ultimately everything will be resolved. I’m also very much hoping that some of the things can be righted that were just wrong in this one – at least for me. LOL! 4 Stars! That might surprise you after my ranting a bit, but I was still thoroughly sucked into and engrossed by this story and very much looking forward to the next.
Challenges: Retellings, Finishing the Series, Popsugar, Wizarding World Tour, 20 in 20, Goodreads
Have you read A Heart So Fierce And Broken or maybe the first book in the series? If so, what did you think? If not, do you plan to? Any recommendations for fans of this series?